Sunday, September 12, 2010

"Be Still and Know that I am God"





Psalm 46:10 says, “Be still and know that I am God.”

I want to share with you some thoughts about being still. I had the privilege a couple of weeks ago of doing for 5 days what young moms do everyday and that is to take care of young children day and night.
At the end of each day after Ethan and Clare had had their showers, I read to them the same book each night because that is what Ethan wanted. Rudolph the Red-Nosed Reindeer. I would even mix up the stack of books and he would root through them until he found it. That was the best part of my day with the younger 2. We were still. Ethan and Clare just sat there and listened. They didn’t say, I want that, I want to put the peanut butter on the bread, I want to carry the plates, etc. They were just still.
We need to be still everyday. Your idea of being still may be different than mine. I like to be alone and read a book. You may like to go for a walk. It doesn’t matter how you are still just seek to have that time.
When I was in school as a student, my teachers made it clear that we were to leave margins on our paper. Both sides and top and bottom. I looked up the definition of margins and the one that applies here is: the blank space that surrounds the text on a page; "he jotted a note in the margin"
We need margins in our lives. Blank time, down time, time to think and not to do. Without the margins and spaces on a page, all of the words would blend together and we would have a very hard time deciphering what is written.

We are all so different. Let’s really focus on God and what He would have us do. He says, Be still and know that I am God.
Any science experiment or art or craft project needs down time. Time to dry, time to set, time to ferment, time to dissolve, whatever. We too need time to “not do”.

No comments: