Sunday, September 5, 2010

Labor Day Weekend


Today is Sunday of Labor Day weekend. Yesterday, we celebrated our older daughter's 29th birthday. Yes, I was in labor on a Labor Day weekend that many years ago. The day was picture perfect weatherwise. We had a friend and some family over for gourmet sandwiches and a specialty cake from one of our favorite local cafes. I got to go shoe shopping with my daughter. I got one pair and she got two pairs. I also talked to our younger daughter several states away who couldn't be here and found out she too had gone shoe shopping and purchased four pairs. When our older daughter was just a baby, she was dubbed the name "Shoe Baby" by a toddler friend. I guess at that point in her life, she probably liked chewing on shoes or something because he could see her fascination with shoes at an early age. I do not know how many pairs of shoes she has, but needless to say, she does love shoes!!
Anyway, I digress. Today, we had a great sermon at church from Ezra chapter 4. The gist of the sermon was not to despise the small things. It has been a relaxing Sunday. I even went for a fun jog late in the day. Tomorrow, I will go to the Y early, visit my mom, and get rid of some clutter in the family room and around the house. Since it will be Labor Day, I will spend part of the day doing decluttering/organizing work.
When I was a teacher, I always felt ready for the new school year after Labor Day. Although, most of the years that I taught, school began before that day. When I was a child and all through my high school days, school always began afer Labor Day. Maybe that is why I really looked forward, as a teacher, to beginning school then. I guess I felt in the school mode. In a couple of days, I will go to the school where I taught for 20 years and give a talk to the younger children of the school during their Chapel time. That will be fun because it's after Labor Day! I am ready!! All I really need is my trusty red plaid sachel that I carried when I was in elementary school. I loved to carry that stewart plaid book sachel with my Dick and Jane book and other school supplies. Oh well.... I will take my green Y bag instead filled with my workout clothes, stretch bands and a few other things to share about the topic of "Flexibility".
Thanks to this three day weekend of celebrating, relaxing, worshiping, exercising and working, I am one happy and thankful lady!!

1 comment:

prncssprple said...

Well, I agree that the autumnal feel of September makes it seem like the time when school should be starting. August is really still a part of summer. For me, it's good and bad to have started school. The good thing is now we're a month in. The bad thing is I lost a month of summer.