Saturday, October 23, 2010

My 59th Year


I am close to halfway through my 59th year on this planet. Since turning 59, I have run my first 5K and won... (for my age group). I have climbed a mountain with help from my husband and encouraging words from my daughter. I have traveled to more states by plane and by car than any other year of my life. Let's see now, here is a quick list of where I have been since turning 59: Poughkeepsie, NY, Columbus, Georgia, Key Largo, Florida and points nearby, Seattle, Washington and suburbs, Tennessee, Texas, New Mexico, Arizona, Nevada, California, Oregon (Corvallis is very nice),Idaho, Wyoming (The Cowboy Cafe in Du Bois -pronounced DO Boys is great), Colorado, Missouri, Kansas, Illinois,Indiana, Ohio, West Virginia, Maryland, Pennsylvania, New Jersey, North and South Carolina. In one road trip alone,my husband and I logged 7,600 miles!! Just as the Johnny Cash song says, "I've been everywhere,man...".
I am fairly sure that my love of traveling is from my father. He was a traveling salesman and knew that Tom Bodett would leave the light on for him as he stayed in many Motel 6 and other hotels over the years.
My mom would say that she is not the traveling kind. She loves the home life and a chair that she can recline in and watch TV. Although, now that she is confined to a wheelchair, she has put many miles on those wheels and may need new tires soon. So, maybe she is becoming a traveler afterall:)
Since I still have about 6 more months to go, before the big 60, it will be exciting to see all of the new adventures God has in store for me. What's next, God?! I am ready, well maybe after a few days at home. That's nice too.

No comments: