Thursday, May 12, 2011

Birthday and Mother's Day

This past Sunday, I celebrated a milestone birthday (I will leave it at that) and Mother's Day, all in the very same day. My husband made me a lemon cake as that is what I had requested. He doesn't like for me to tell people that he makes cakes, but it's the truth. He is an excellent baker man. I think he would much prefer that I told people that he was a mighty deer shooter or any other wild beast hunter for that matter, but the truth there is, that he isn't. One time a deer literally jumped over him in them thar woods and he missed that target.
Anyway, getting back to the birthday/Mother's Day subject, it was a perfect day. My older daughter came down. My best friend came over. I got to visit my own mom and take her some goodies and take her for a walk down the lovely street where she lives. My younger daughter called me first thing for my bonus days as she couldn't be here.
Now that I am ___ years old, I am more busy and having more fun than I have had since I was 6. I lead a weekly Bible study and it is in it's 4th year. I call it the Yada-Yada Bible Study after the Yada-Yada books by Neta Jackson. The group is very diverse and is much like the characters in her books. I play tennis in a weekly tennis league 2 to 3 times a week. I am a Mentor Mom to 8 FANTASTIC young moms. They teach me soooo much more than I do them. I will miss them as I am leaving this position, since I will be a Grandmama in July and want to devote more time to that new role. I try to walk 3 miles a day about 5 days a week with some dear friends and my G man. I work out at the Y with my friend also about 5 days a week. In addition, I will run my second 5K at the end of this month, so I train by running 3 miles in the park or on the treadmill about once a week. I also visit my mom 2 to 3 times a week, since I am no longer her full time caregiver. It is a good thing I am retired because I wouldn't have time to hold down a job.
So as I begin this new decade,I am thankful to the One who gave me life. God knows the plans for me and that is sufficient. As I heard a Scottish pastor on the radio say yesterday, "Yesterday is a cancelled check, tomorrow is a promissory note, but today, it is cash in hand." May I spend my time today wisely. May I focus on My Creator and Savior for this day and be happy and content.

No comments: