Thursday, August 1, 2013

A Busy July

Welcome to August. July was super busy and fun. It started off spending a few days with my daughter, son-in-law and grandson as the wonderful little one turned 2! I made us matching shirts. His said, "I'm 2, Woo-Hoo". Mine said, "I'm 62, Boo-Hoo". We were suppose to all run a 5K for the 4th of July, but 5:45 AM seemed like a terrible time to wake up.
I  traveled quite a bit in July. After the trip to be with the birthday boy, I traveled back to my roots. Almost heaven, West Virginia. I visited my cousin near Charleston. There, she gave me my first ever 4 wheeler ride. We rode over part of their 150 acre fish farm!! Now that's a little taste of West Virginia. Needless to say, I held on tight. The next day, we went to the town where my father was from. My cousin and I were given a tour of the home my dad grew up in. It is now owned by people who knew my dad as well as my grandparents. The gentleman was kind to show us a table in the Sitting Room that my grandfather, whom I never met, made by hand. My grandfather also built the home my father lived in.
My cousin and I went on to The Greenbrier in White Sulphur Springs and strolled through the shops. We were surprised to see many Boy Scout Troop Leaders staying there. Aren't Boy Scouts suppose to rough it???
Later, that week, we went to Lost Creek , West Virginia to have a family reunion with my mother's side of the family. My mother graduated from Lost Creek High School in 1943. It was wonderful to see my cousins again and meet some new ones too!!
When I returned from WV, my husband and I took some friends who will be moving away soon,  to see obscure monuments in Washington, DC. The Einstein one and the "Full Count" Baseball one are my 2 favorites of the 11 or 12 we saw that day. Then, on Saturday, July 27, my husband and I and 2 other couples took in the Nats-Mets game at Nationals' Stadium. We had super seats!!! To top it off, the Nats won 4-1!! Whoopie!!
This past Monday, I took a trip to Newport, NC to visit my only living uncle and aunt and more cousins:) My Uncle Noah recently had quadruple bypass surgery and is doing very well. They have lived in Newport for 13 years and this was my first trip to see them. About time!
Let's wait and see what August holds. Thank you, God, for safety in my travels and for the memories.










No comments: