Friday, June 18, 2010

Mom's Purse


I just got home from a picnic with my mom and many other families. The home has a yearly picnic with the director and staff flipping burgers and grilling hotdogs. The courtyard area was set up with canopies to keep the residents out of the sun. Normally my mom would only be outside for a few minutes, but not today. She enjoyed her plate of picnicky foods and ice cream for dessert. She loved watching the little children sporting their sunglasses as they enjoyed the day out with their great-grandparents. She didn't even ask to go inside!!!! My mom doesn't go anywhere without her trusty purse. This purse is like her security blanket. I really want to buy her another one, but it has to be one that looks very much like this one. I know she can't remember a lot, but I have a feeling that she would know if I switched it. This purse has many things inside. Her hairbrush, her keyring with my dad's picture, mine and two of her grandchilren as babies.She carries an emoryboard for her nails. Sometimes, her carryaround phone is in there. She sticks her mail in there. On some days, I have found part of her lunch in there. I think it goes back to the time of the depression when people didn't throw away anything. She has had melted candy and a smooshed banana. Unfortunately, the lining is cloth, so periodically, I empty everything and wash it out as best as I can. Today I noticed the outside is in sad shape too. If you happen to be out and see a purse that would pass as this one, but in a newer condition, just let me know. Until then, I will keep looking for it's twin.

1 comment:

Rebecca said...

I will look around to see if I see one like it. The funny thing is, I remember her frequently dumping out her purse before. She used to routinely get another one and now she wants just the same one.