Wednesday, July 7, 2010

Don't Take Your Husband for Granted

A few days ago as I was just beginning to wake up from a good night's sleep, the words "Don't take your husband for granted" came through my mind. Since I'm not "Oooohhhh, what was that all about?" or charismatic at all in my faith, I wasn't real sure why that would be so clear. Usually when I first wake up, my first thought is of a cup of coffee and something sweet to go with that coffee. Maybe God was speaking to me in His still small voice, yet ever so encompassing. I kept thinking about those words throughout that day and into the days since. After being married for more than 3 decades, I have had days when I DO take my husband for granted. Maybe, just the day before this audible thought, I had not appreciated my husband as much as I should and this was God's gentle reminder to me.
As a Mentor Mom for MOPS, I will encourage these young moms to put their husbands above their kids. This is not an easy thing to do when little ones are clinging, wrapping, sliding, swinging all over you. Nevertheless, this is a God mandate that will cause our marriages to be healthy and lasting. Proverbs 14:1 says, "The wise woman builds her house, but with her own hands the foolish one tears hers down."
So as I renew this commitment to honor my husband, I will seek to listen to his voice, be interested in his thoughts and his take on life. Yes, men do have a different approach to life than most women do. I,for one, need to consider this difference. I will take joy in his presence when we are together. I will encourage him with words, touch, and looks. I will strive to stay in shape which is also giving him pleasure.
Thanks, God, for helping me day by day not to take my husband for granted.

No comments: