Wednesday, February 1, 2012

Day One

Today is February 1st. I have decided to watch what I eat until April 7, the day before Easter. My husband has gone on a fast of sorts for the past probably 20 years. Here is how his goes.... right after his birthday in the beginning of January, he gives up all alcoholic beverages, no dairy (including eggs) and eats poultry and veggies/fruits. He doesn't give up cookies, but does give up other sugary treats. February is fish month and no more poultry. March until Easter is bean time. He will consume all kinds of beans with rice, protein powder and no meats. Since I have never been as disciplined as my "better half", I usually just give up chocolate. My stomach can't seem to tolerate "just beans" like his can, so I just eat sensibly from March til Easter. This is a kind of Lent exercise even though Lent doesn't officially start until Feb. 22.
From today until Easter, I will write down everything I eat in a handy little purse-sized notebook so that I can stay accountable. My major weakness, along with chocolate, is any kind of bread. Since a few days ago, I have not had any bread. I thought that taking bread out of my daily diet would be super hard, but so far, I have not had a problem. Instead I will eat crackers or these 20 calorie a piece whole wheat popcakes from Wegmans. These are sort of like rice cakes. I am giving up all sweets. If we go out somewhere then I make an adjustment and may eat a slice of pie, but I will still write it down. If someone is having a birthday party, I believe it to be very rude ( right? right!) to refuse to eat the cake, I just don't have to eat a big slice.
From time to time during this however many day period, I will check back in here and write a bit about how it's going. You know, like seeing a picture of a brownie and eating the picture, that kind of thing. Wish me Godspeed, since I don't believe in luck.

No comments: