Friday, July 10, 2009

Mind Your Peas


We have all been told to mind our P's and Q's during our growing up years. If you have ever been to The Rising Sun Tavern in Olde Town Fredericksburg and taken the tour, the tavern wench would inform you that to mind your P's and Q's really means watch your drinks, your pint of beer or quart of whatever because the bar would be closing soon. This expression had nothing to do with having good manners. When I was a tot, I just watched my P's, not my pint of beer, but my peas. As I have been told many times, I L-O-V-E-D my peas. I still do. They are by far my very favorite veggie.
Anyway, apparently, I was visiting my grandma's house one day and she gave me some wonderful peas on my plate. I gobbled them down and one pea tried to get away by rolling under grandma's table. As the story goes, I spotted the runaway pea and got down under the table and ate it. Although I don't remember any of this, I do not doubt the truth of this tale. As much as I enjoy this green treat today, I now only eat the ones on my plate. Well, if one should roll say on the table, I would go for it. What about you, Erica? :)

No comments: