Monday, July 27, 2009

For Sure and For Certain

One of my favorite things to do each summer is to go to Lancaster County for a mini vacation from the busyness of day-to-day going to appointments and doing this and finishing that and you get the picture. I have read practically every Amish-fiction book ever written. I love Amish anything. I love the expressions like "Danke" and the one in the title of this blog. I didn't think I would be able to take my yearly excursion to Amishland because of my mom's daily care. However,thanks to family and the suggestion of a dear friend, things have worked out for me to get away for a couple of days. Danke! West Virginia is what my father called God's Country. He would take a deep breath as soon as we would cross over into Almost Heaven and proclaim that the air was so much cleaner. Well, Pennsylvania Dutch Country has air filled with manure smells if you roll that car window down, but other than that drawback, I do appreciate the slower pace, the change of scenery, the fun shopping, their way of life. Could I survive if I were Amish? I think I could. Some Amish are fairly hightech these days. With the New Order of Amish, telephones are allowed in an outbuilding on their property or so my Amish fiction says so. Anyway, I am not that much into talking on the phone. I could give up the computer and just journal with pen and paper. So for a couple of days for the past 6 or so years, I become as close as I can get to being Amish. That suits me for sure and for certain!

2 comments:

Amanda @ Serenity Now said...

I have always wanted to stay at an Amish Bed & Breakfast! Maybe it can be a MOPS "weekend out." ;)

Antiquerain said...

Hope you enjoyed a wonderful trip!

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3253/2810419887_0b8fde4993.jpg

I've been for my B-day a couple of times and it is indeed great fun. http://luluandtutz.blogspot.com

During my visit last summer I found two new favorites. A quaint little shop named Lulu & Tutz. Also, I found and fell in love with the Springerle House. http://www.springerlehouse.com