Tuesday, October 20, 2009

Waiting

We live in a culture of not wanting to wait. I don't think this is true of other countries but it is the case here in the states. It isn't pleasant to wait. It is as if we are wasting time. It's not just instant oatmeal that people want, it's everything from fast checkouts at the grocery store to changing channels with "the clicker" AKA, the remote control. There is only one thing I can think of that people do not mind waiting for and that is coffee. I waited today for a coffee mocha as the girl put the cocoa in, then added the coffee then poured the cold milk and heated it up and frothed it up and finally poured it into my to go cup. Yes, it was worth the wait. I wouldn't even think of drinking instant coffee!
In our Bible Study today as we zeroed in on Esther Chapter 5, Esther decides to wait. The banquet she would have for King Xerxes and Haman would not be rushed. The king would wait for her reply to his question about what is it you want. Tomorrow at the banquet I will tell you, she says.
God says waiting is a good thing. He tells us to "wait upon The Lord.."(Isaiah 40:31) and "Be still and know that I am God"(Psalm 46:10). Being still implies waiting patiently, not being anxious. People can wait with anxiety,finger tapping, foot swinging, head bobbing, but I don't think that is really waiting. It's kind of like a child being disciplined, he may be sitting down on the outside, but it's the standing up on the inside that's the problem. In some versions of The Bible, the word, "wait" is translated "hope". I could say, I "hoped" for my cup of coffee today and that would be true. When I think of wait that way, I think I'll be able to wait better. At least I "hope" so.

No comments: