Friday, April 16, 2010

Family

I don't normally write a blog two days in a row, but when I wrote yesterday about marriage that led right into this. When I was a little girl, one of the first song I can remember singing was "Love and Marriage". You know the one, "go together like a horse and carriage..." I was thinking of family today. We all have families. Although when you take a look at some siblings, it is hard to believe they are even related due to different looks, way different personalites and likes and dislikes. We are part of the family of God once we put our trust in Christ. We are part of an earthly home family. We may be part of a church family. We may be part of an extended family through a group we have ties with. When I was teaching, I had a school family.
The other day, I visited my mom at the Assisted Living Home where she lives. She has a dear freind, Wilma, who lives a couple doors down from her. Mom hasn't been feeling very well the past two weeks and Wilma comes in her room in her wheelchair and holds her hand and talks to her. I thanked Wilma for taking care of mom the other day and she said, "Well she's a part of me." Family once again. Both she and mom have dementia but they meet each other's needs. They care for each other. They may not remember each other's names but their faces are a familiar and welcomed sight. My "Mother Teresa" daily calendar right here in the computer room says for today, "You must try to bring the presence of God to your families. I think that just being together and loving one another brings peace and joy and strengthens the bond between family members in the home. That is the way to overcome all the evil that is in the world." As Dionne Warwick would sing,"What the world needs now is love sweet love....". We can echo that in our own family whether at home, in church or in an assisted living home.

No comments: