Friday, April 24, 2009

Fun Friday

This morning, I went to a funeral of a lady that we have known since we moved to this area. God chose to take her quickly on Monday and she was ready to go even though she probably felt she would come through the procedure and wake up in a hospital bed. Many came to her service today to pay tribute to a life well lived. When you are in your mid 80's,as she was, and God takes you by the hand,these words come to mind- thank you, God, for an easy end to my earthly life and a smooth transition into my heavenly home. You may wonder why I put Fun Friday as the title. I wouldn't call a funeral fun. My husband wouldn't call a wedding or a funeral fun, although he would pick a funeral over a wedding. You'll have to ask him why, but I think it's because the person's life on earth is over and heaven (for those whose destination is with God) is far better than here. So, my question or thought is... why is the word "fun" in funeral? As I posted several days ago, when I quoted from the book, If You Want to Walk on Water, You've Got to Get Out of the Boat, a lady wanted to be buried with a fork because something good's comin'. This is from her many church potluck dinners when she was told to keep her fork. She knew it wouldn't be jello for dessert, but something good like pie or cake. The lady who is with her Lord and Savior now made the best coconut custard pie, as was told to us today at her homegoing. Although I never had a piece of her "heavenly" coconut custard pie, I can imagine how wonderful a forkful of it would taste. The bulletin was titled "A Celebration" of her life. Celebrations translate into fun! I am confident this dear woman of God is having lots of fun as I type away at this very moment. I think I will focus on the "fun" in funeral and be happy for the coconut custard pie moments and all the other "Oh my" experiences she is having. As the song says, "when we all get to heaven, what a day of rejoicing that will be..."

No comments: