Friday, May 22, 2009

Memorial Day Weekend

On this busy travel weekend with gas prices going up again, we will be right here at home. Many from our extended family will attack the highways to come to us on Monday to eat,drink (lemonade made in the shade)and visit. So my weekend will consist of baking,cooking a little in advance and not being on 95. What do I like about these 3 day weekends? When I was teaching, I loved having an extra day off. A breather from the Monday back-to-work feeling. Now that I am a bum, I enjoy having family come by. I also like hamburgers and hot dogs, potato salad, macaroni salad, fresh fruit, especially watermelon with the seeds and something good for dessert. This year, it will be coconut cream pie and maybe a carrot cake. Since Memorial Day weekend officially ushers in summertime, ya gotta cook out! You don't have to eat outside, but a screened-in porch with a ceiling fan is tailormade for savoring the essence of the smorgasbord! Relaxation is the goal for the holiday. Whatever you have planned~pool to stay cool and hot, beach to splash around in frigid waves and dust off sand, or just relaxin' with family in the backyard, have a safe and rest-filled day!

No comments: