Tuesday, June 9, 2009

Dementia Daze

Over the past week and a half, our household has been experiencing dementia daze. My mother,who has a type (unique to her I am sure) of dementia and who lives with us, had to spend one night in the hospital as her GP told me to take her there if she had problems with dizziness over the weekend. So, on Sunday morning a little over a week ago,I followed doctor's orders and went to the ER. I will spare you the myriad of tests run, all of which she passed with flying colors, just to be told that she had an infection. The kind common to many elderly ladies. Reminder to self: Never take anyone with dementia to the hospital! For one thing, I truly doubt that this hospital would take my mom again even if I showed up there with her. They would probably say,"We don't have any space available, so sorry." Dementia is a strange brain thing, however I have learned, well maybe not learned, but trying to learn a few helpful words of advice. 1.Let it go. Whatever the person says that may cause you to get upset should not be given a first or second thought. 2.Keep a sense of humor. The things the person says are truly funny sometimes. Laugh and enjoy the funny way thoughts come out. For example, mu mom said the other day,"It's too bad Marvin (her husband/my dad) died because we could have had a double ring burial." Is she planning on going somewhere anytime soon??? 3.Everything will be okay. There is a saying about not sweating the small stuff, to that I wholeheartedly agree. Don't sweat anything. God is in control of dementia too. 4. This is only temporary. My friend Karen reminded me of this and it has been such a help to me as I care for my mom's needs. Yes, sometimes, I feel like I am the one in the "daze", but thanks to my incredible husband,two super daughters,a wonderful church family,fabulous friends,support team of pros and God being ever-present, my dear mother and I will get through this weirdness.

1 comment:

Amanda @ Serenity Now said...

Hope Mrs. F is on the mend!!!