Monday, June 29, 2009

A Key Lime Milkshake

This past weekend, my husband and our niece took a road trip south. Now the REAL reason for this long weekend trip was not to stop and see lovely Savannah,Georgia although that was fun. It was not to visit my husband's brothers and our niece's uncles in sunny Florida, but they enjoyed spending a few hours with said kin. It was not to spend hours and hours in a car listening to books on tapes and CDs even though this does make the miles roll away. My husband said that waking up in Key Largo on a Sunday morning was extra nice because it was so peaceful. Nope, that isn't really why they went either. Was it to have bonding time with uncle and niece? Well,it's a nice thought, but that ain't happenin'. The REAL incentive for taking such a looonnngggg car ride was to get a milkshake. Not just any milkshake mind you. These one-of-a-kind milkshakes are only made in Homestead, Florida just outside of Miami at the Robert Is Here fruit stand. The very best one of the many tropical shakes they make is the key lime shake!!! Once we got a key lime/strawberry shake and discovered it didn't hold a candle to the key lime only shakes. Our family has visited Robert Is Here several times over the years and always get a shake to drink while walking around the fruit stand and buying jams and fruit and then another shake for the road. We tell all of our friends to go to South Florida when they want a milkshake. One year I was on my way with a friend to Robert's and my pastor called to tell me that Robert's was closed for renovations. NO! We had told our pastor and his family to go there once while they were in Key Largo and they did. He remembered being told they would be renovating during such and such a time. At least he called and we didn't travel that far down the state only to be disappointed. We stopped at a DQ and I asked them to make me a Key Lime shake which wasn't on the menu. They did their best, but sorry nothng close to the real deal.
My wonderful, loving, sweet, kind husband is bringing our family back 4 of these treats on dry ice. He did this last year and they handled the trip beautifully. I savored mine over several days. It is now 6:00 and my mouth is set for my milkshake, but "Robert Is Not Here" yet. Any minute now, a key lime shake with my name on it will be delivered. And here it is....

2 comments:

Antiquerain said...

Megan graciously let me taste the divine treat last year. Oh, my--so good! You exaggerate not.

Antiquerain said...

Watching Ken Burns documentary about the National Parks. Just watched the bit on the Everglades. There was mention of key limes and I revisited your post. Believe I've found the infamous vendor: http://www.robertishere.com/