Friday, June 5, 2009

Uncle Grover and Grandma Ford



This is my Great Uncle Grover and my Grandma Ford. The picture was probably taken sometime in the early 1950's in front of the home built by my grandfather. Grandma was 8 years older than Grover. Grandma opened up her home to her baby brother and they enjoyed each other's company for many years. Uncle Grover also came to live with my family when my brother and I were in high school because he had dementia and needed more care than my Grandmother could give. I do believe the humor gene came from him. My dad and brother had that same gene and now my nephew has it. These four generations of men in my family had/has such an amazing, quirky sense of humor. I can still hear Uncle Grover as he gently would pull my and my brother's ears and say, "Whee now, whee now." He also said for who knows what reason~no reason probably, "Hoolay, hoolay, Bob Doolay, hooligan, hooligan, Bob Dooligan." He would carry an old, hard potato in his pocket, pull it out and ask people, "Do you know what this is?" There are way too many Grover stories to tell here. But whenever you need a laugh, come on over and I'll tell you a few.

No comments: