Sunday, June 21, 2009

Summer

Today marks the beginning of summertime. I just took the 2 doggies out for a stroll. Unlike the humandidity (my dad's word for humidity) of yesterday, today is breezy,kind of sunny and super pleasant. Now if each day of the summer season were like today, we'd be in business. Although I tend to see the glass half full, I also realize summer will have HOT days period. I can still hope for days like today to outnumber the HOT ones. Several years ago, my friend and I were across The Pond during a particularly HOT summer. A/C is just not in the Old Country. I guess it is generally cooler over there or maybe the people are not such hothouse tomatoes like their american cousins. One day, she and I were sitting in a HOT restaurant and she said, "I think we're the hottest ones in here!" This became our joke. We literally meant that everyone else in the place looked air-cooled and totally comfortable compared to we two who were experiencing sweltering tropical moments that were lasting for days! We were far from the new meaning of "hot". Just last week, this same friend and I were driving on our park road and saw a guy sweating profusely as he jogged along in oppressive heat. She said,"He looks hot!" Now I knew what she meant, but I chided her by simply saying her name in such a way. This brought giggles from both of us and tears to my eyes since I only seem to cry when I laugh as we both remembered our "hottest ones in here" day. Hot is not my friend, cool is. So may this season of the sun be blessed with gentle winds and lower temperatures and my hot friend and I will do nicely.

No comments: