Monday, August 17, 2009

Little Children/Young Adults

On Saturday when I went to the Y to run, a lady called out to me from about 50 feet away in the Y parking lot. I thought she was just another of the many who want to see my Smart car and ask questions about it. When I went to the Y that morning, I hadn't showered as I knew I would be a wet washrag in 30 minutes so what's the point of showering before running. Needless to say, I was hoping not to see anyone I knew due to my unfashionable workout attire and my bedhead hairdo. I often will see some of the young moms I know from MOPS, but they are use to seeing drenched,messy me. But this time, the question was,"What is your last name?" When I told her, she came over and said pointing to the gorgeous 22 year old next to her, "You were her kindergarten teacher." Well, let me tell you, this young adult was a far cry from the 5 year old I taught many moons ago. When I asked her what grade she was in, she replied that she had just graduated from college and was headed toward grad. school in January. Where did the years go?! Then yesterday at church, Mrs. Pastor told me they had met a young lady I had taught in kindergarten the other day when we were signing up two of their children for middle school. When I described what she looked like in kindergarten, I was informed that she is a beautiful brunette (she had blondish hair when she was 5). All summer long, I have had the pleasure of seeing yet another of my young students who has worked at the Y camp. She always runs over to give me a hug and a big smile. She will be a junior in college this fall. Yes,cute little kindergarteners grow up into lovely/handsome young adults. This coming Friday, I will see one of my students who used to be a playful five-year-old and is now married and the manager of a local eatery. He still remembers those happy days of kindergarten and his teacher. Thank you Lord for dear children who have grown up and continue to seek Your Face. Their smiles and hugs sent my way are an added bonus.

No comments: